Lauren's Reviews > Enchanted

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

May 14, 12

bookshelves: clean-young-adult, fantasy
Read in May, 2012

2.5 stars This book was just okay for me.

Although it was the story of the frog prince, a lot of other fairy tales were thrown in for good measure. There were magic beans, giants, fairy godmothers, lost shoes, magic dancing slippers etc. It felt a bit like the author was trying to fit as many storybook references as she could into the plot. Some of that was okay, but it got to be a bit much and I wish the story had grown without all the fairytale plot devices.

I was also a bit confused by some parts of the plot. For instance, Sunday goes to the market and it’s clear that faeries are trying to trap her in some way, but it was never clear why she was singled out – because of the prince? Because of her powers? And nothing ever came of the attention that she got. Also, in the beginning she talks about her brother Trix being part faerie and not growing the same pace, but then we find out that she also has fey blood, so I’m not sure what the difference is supposed to be. Maybe a different gift? Further, Sunday finds out that she has all this magical power and there are some scenes of her learning to control her powers. But in the end nothing is really done with her talent. I kept waiting for her to go head to head with the prince’s powerful godmother. Or have to break a big spell or something. I’m not sure the point of highlighting her abilities.

The other problem I had with the plot is that it seemed almost middle grade in some places – especially, Sunday’s narrative (she’s 15 after all), But then it’s clear that Rumbold participated in some pretty PG-13 (or worse) activities in the past. Although those references are vague enough not to be a problem for younger readers, they just seemed out of place with the mood of the rest of the story and made me a bit uncomfortable

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanted.