Cheri Ragland's Reviews > Sahara Special

Sahara Special by Esmé Raji Codell

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: eced-117
Read from February 02 to 04, 2012

"Sahara Special" was an intriguing young adult literature book. The story of a fifth grader who is labeled as a "special needs" child and the triumphs she endures in the classroom was amazing. The book is filled with wit and laughter, pain and criticism. Sahara is being held back in fifth grade, nervous and self-conscious, she makes the most of everyday. The new teacher, Ms. Potty, as she is often referred to, is bound and determine to not let these children fail but exceed further than they ever have before. To start a school year means to start a journal, as Sahara states in her journal, "I am a writer" with three little words, "I believe you" from Ms. Poitier, a whole world of adventures comes to life! Furthermore, I believe that it should be identified as a heroic teachers efforts to not seclude her special needs children, but rather, include her children in every aspect of learning and conclude that it may not really be a "special need" just a special child. This book would be excellent for children in the classrooms at age 8 and older. I would use this as a part of a journal writing activity and also show diversity and special needs in the classroom. Sahara shows how being nice can get you far and Ms, Poitier shows that being a friend and a teacher goes further than just being a teacher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sahara Special.