Lee Anne's Reviews > Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Mar 09, 12

Read from February 10 to March 09, 2012

There is no criticism of this book that hasn't been written that needs to be; I can add nothing. I can say, though, that I was relieved to find it so readable, and containing just enough humor and melodrama (boy, am I a sucker for melodrama) to keep it from being a stuffy classic.

The story of Anna and Vronsky (of which anyone with a working knowledge of the classics knows at least an outline) is balanced with the romance of Kitty (Anna's sister-in-law's sister) and Levin. This sweet story provided the few duller moments, however, as Levin, a wealthy landowner, frets about the importance of Russian agricultural life and the peasant situation, and later about the meaning of life. Levin is downright emo, in fact, with his tendency toward easy embarrassment and moping.

This is a long book, and I will admit to joking about my desire to get Anna and the train together about 200 pages before it actually happened. But when it did, it kind of broke my heart a little, and she was never much of a sympathetic character.

I am much less afraid of Russian authors after this. A great book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Karenina.

02/12/2012 page 80
10.0% "Thank God I like it, since it will take me a month to read. Bonus: short chapters. There are 239 of them, but at least they're short."
02/23/2012 page 360
45.0% "Levin's peasant problem is bogging me down. Stick to the melodrama, please!"
02/27/2012 page 468
58.0% "I'm past the halfway point, and I like it so far, but that train is still a little too far down the track, you know?"
03/08/2012 page 760
94.0% "I've been waiting for her to throw herself in front of that train for two weeks, and when it finally happened, I actually felt bad for the poor girl. Well done."
show 10 hidden updates…