Melissa 's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2012, teen-action-adventure, teen-sci-fi, with-reviews, ilf-2013
Read from February 02 to 24, 2012, read count: 1

Cinder is probably one of the best mechanics in New Beijing. She is also a cyborg, who has no memory of her life before her operation. The ward of a woman who despises what she is Cinder makes the best of her life. When her sister gets the incurable plague, Cinder’s guardian turns her over to the cyborg draft to become a test subject for the scientists trying to cure the plague. Meanwhile, a hostile lunar queen watches the Earthen’s struggle against this deadly disease, while trying to manipulate her way into becoming the next Empress.

Let me first start out by saying that no book blurb seems to do this book justice. I wrote my own, and still find it lacking. If I were base my decision to read books solely on the blurb I think I would have passed on this one. It just didn’t catch my attention. I was also afraid that with all the hype the book was getting it was going to be one of those that was over hyped and I would be disappointed. In the end I ignored the hype. The rave reviews from my fellow book bloggers, was what ultimately convinced me to read this novel, and I am so glad that I listened to all of you.

Cinder is a unique retelling of the classic fairytale Cinderella. It has given new life to an old story, and I love fairytale retellings. I was afraid when I started this novel that I would have difficulty relating to Cinder who is a cyborg. I was afraid that the narration would be distant and I would have difficulty connecting to the character. I can honestly say that I had no difficulty connecting to Cinder as a character. Meyer makes her believable and very compelling. You can empathize with her, and you honestly want her to succeed.

Meyer has done a wonderful job making the characters well rounded and believable. You could see more than one side of all of them (except for maybe the Lunar Queen). I loved the doctor, and absolutely adored Iko. These characters just captured my attention and imagination.

The audio version of this novel is produced by Macmillan Young Listeners and read by Rebecca Soler. Soler does a wonderful job with this book and the characters--even making the male characters voices sound believable. I adore the voice she uses with Iko. The production is clean and very well done, making audio a good way to experience this amazing novel.

I could go on for hours about how much I enjoyed this novel, and how much it really surprised me. I think it is enough to say that I will eagerly await the next installment in this series, and it can’t come soon enough. Book two in the Lunar Chronicles is currently titled Scarlet and due out sometime in 2013. I can tell you I will be anxiously awaiting its release!

Cautions for sensitive readers: Mild Violence.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

Libby Glad to catch your review. This looks fascinating to me---I have it on my to read list

Laura I loved it as well, and am unhappy about such a long wait for book 2 (I really need to learn patience)

Melissa Laura wrote: "I loved it as well, and am unhappy about such a long wait for book 2 (I really need to learn patience)"

Same here, I finished it and was so ready to start book 2. It seems like lately, all I am doing is waiting for sequels.