Kellee's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

1919931
*I really loved this book very much. I loved the presentation of it, I loved the writing style and I loved the story.

There was one point where Min described herself and I connected with her directly. Min is not artsy, is not popular, is not goth, is not slutty, she just is. I felt that way throughout school. I never was an outcast, but I was never popular either. I think this connection and the fact that I, too, had felt love in high school, made it so this book hit home. And anyone who has ever broken up with someone they truly loved will connect with the emotions that Min feels as her voice is so true.

I also really liked how Handler set the book up. The book begins with the end- Min and Ed have broken up and Min delivers (threw actually) a box onto Ed's door with all of the "treasures" from their whirlwind relationship. Each section begins with an illustration of the object painted beautifully by Maira Kalman and then the story of the object within their relationship unfolds.

There were two things that kept me from giving it 5 stars:
1) The premise, though executed differently, reminded me of other books where the unpopular girl and the popular boy get together and then it doesn't work out.
2) I really wanted to like the fake cinema history thrown into the book, but really I felt that it just made the book slow down. Why not make it actual cinema history so that the reader would have some prior knowledge so it didn't drag so much. I think that during these times, too, it felt like Handler was trying too hard to make Min seem "different".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hannahlily Point #2, yes, yes, 1,000 times yes! I felt the same way! It didn't keep me from giving the book 5 stars, but I think it would be so much stronger if Handler had used real cinema history. Oh well, I still think it's a great book, mostly because of the terribly authentic voice and the beautiful sentence-level writing. Glad you enjoyed it too!

Kellee Hannahlily wrote: "Point #2, yes, yes, 1,000 times yes! I felt the same way! It didn't keep me from giving the book 5 stars, but I think it would be so much stronger if Handler had used real cinema history. Oh wel..."

I went back and forth between 4 and 5 stars over and over, but I just couldn't do it because of my 2 reservations; however, I did truly enjoy it.