Carrie Vaughn's Reviews > Shadows of Myth

Shadows of Myth by Rachel Lee

Jan 25, 12

Read from January 23 to 25, 2012

I really was not a fan of this book. The beginning hooked me in and made me want to read the book. A woman wakes in the middle of carnage and has no idea who she is, where she came from or even how to speak the language. Great hook! I want to know who she is and where she came from, too. So we follow the journey of the woman who becomes known as Tess to discover her identity. She is joined on this journey by three mysterious men, the tavern keeper's daughter and the son of the gatekeeper as they journey to find those who slaughtered the caravan.

We never do find out what happened to the caravan.

Through the course of the book, characters speak of stories Tess has no knowledge of and they inform her so we, the readers, can learn of the stories without listening in on someone's thoughts or falling back on too many dream sequences. She and her companions wind up targets of the big bad whoop de whoop and a big battle happens at the end. The ending needs to go behind a spoiler for anyone who wants to read this later.

(view spoiler)

The book is a quick read and keeps chumming you along to the ending, but when you get to the end, you kinda wonder where the plot went or if it was even there to begin with. It seemed to me that the author knew these characters so intimately that we were not introduced to them as thoroughly as we should have been. There were some errors the editor should have caught that stuck out to me. The story just seemed a little flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows of Myth.