Checkman's Reviews > Different Seasons

Sep 12, 13

bookshelves: beach-read, anthology-short-stories, horror
Recommended to Checkman by: A friend
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once

I wouldn't call myself a King addict. Over the years I've started many of his novels only to give up on them. However when he is at his best he's cooking with gasoline and I've always believed that he's at his best with short stories and novellas. Different Seasons is one of his best. It's not a coincidence that three of the four stories in this volume have been made into movies and that two of them (Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me) are considered to be among the best of the King movie adaptations. Why is that you ask? Because the original stories ( Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption and The Body) are two of King's best. It's interesting to note that both stories aren't really horror in terms of the genre either. King has always been strong when it comes to characters and setting and both stories have tons of that.

Apt Pupil is a disturbing story. More in the vein of his Bachman writing than a Stephen King story. If you've read much of his Bachman books you'll understand what I'm talking about. Sadly the story has lost some of it's punch in the thirty years since it was published. We no longer find the idea of the homicidal teenager to be as horrifically disturbing or implausible.Nevertheless it's a study in evil and it works.

The Breathing Method is a great old-fashioned tale. Very reminiscent of Shirley Jackson, Richard Matheson and with a hint of H.P. Lovecraft. I've always been a sucker for a tale of mystery that leaves more to the reader's imagination than what it actually reveals. For many younger readers The Breathing Method might be boring for it doesn't provide much in the way of Blood and Thunder, but I like it.

All in all Different Seasons is a good read. I read it over the past week while working nights. I find that at 3:00 A.M. the tighter writing required of a short story/novella is best. Novels are more stretched out and during that early hour I find myself drifting off if things aren't moving along briskly. I didn't drift off while reading this one. Good work Mr. King.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Different Seasons.

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff It's nice you get to read while you work.

message 2: by Checkman (last edited Sep 12, 2013 07:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Checkman Jeff wrote: "It's nice you get to read while you work."

That's the glamor of police work. Late at night there just isn't anything happening and there are times when one parks in a very visible location and serves as a visible deterrent. At least I hope that's what is happening. Reading can help keep me awake. Too much driving late at night can actually put me to sleep. Taxpayers hate it when sleepy cops drive into their houses. They have no sense of humor those taxpayers. LOL. Now I don't read on dayshift and on weekend nights and holidays. Way too busy then.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I must confess, as a fellow civil servant, I sneak the occasional read of a page or two (or more) when I'm downloading files (or not).