Margo Berendsen's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Jan 23, 2012

bookshelves: ya-science-fiction, 2012-my-reads, debut-2012, young-adult, science-fiction
Read in July, 2012

Pure entertainment. A great blend of cyborgs, stepsisters, androids, princes, lunar aliens (sort of), messed up ballroom scenes, and an evil Queen to rival the Queen in Snow White.

Loved how there was a "scientific" explanation for Lunar Queen Levana's glamour, and her close advisers are called thaumaturges (had to look that one up: workers of magic).

The plague added an emotionally wrenching aspect to this otherwise light-hearted book.

A few small issues: the author gave away the twist MUCH too early in the book. I'm usually slow to pick up on clues, but this one was obvious. Still, it didn't stop my enjoyment, and I'm at a loss to figure out how it could have been better disguised.

Also, the book was set in China (or a futuristic China - New Beijing) but it could have been easily any city in America. Except for one interesting description of the Palace (loved the dual purpose gargoyles - what were they called again??) and a few Chinese names, it was a mostly generic setting with hardly any foreign or futuristic feeling at all.

My favorite character was Iko, the android that loved to dress up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.