Todd N's Reviews > Happier Than a Billionaire: Quitting My Job, Moving to Costa Rica, and Living the Zero Hour Work Week

Happier Than a Billionaire by Nadine Hays Pisani

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: kindle
Read in December, 2011

I received this book as a Kindle gift, largely as a rebuke for considering a job at a small start up. I love getting books as gifts, especially as rebukes, so I was eager to read it.

It is also possible that I received this book as a political statement because I was threatening to leave the country if anyone who was personally told by Jesus to run for president won a primary. [[[Aside: The danger of this appears to have passed because Mr. Perry and Ms. Bachmann have dropped out of the race. But then again "the ways of the Lord are right, and the just shall walk in them" (Hosia 14:9), so if Jesus tells me to vote for someone who He has told to run for president then I totally will without complaining or leaving the country.]]]

So fortunately I didn't have to use this book as a practical handbook for moving to Costa Rica, which is good because it only the story of one couple -- a miserable one trapped in their careers who had to make a break for their sanity and health -- who struck out more or less sight-unseen for Costa Rica. It's an interesting story, one maybe a little over-written and one that unfortunately invoked the ghost of Erma Bombeck once every few pages.

The main annoyances in Costa Rica, aside from the bureaucracy there, appear to be other Americans. Even in a relatively remote area of Costa Rica they encounter a crazy pet lady who keeps dead birds in her freezer and a Jehovahs Witness who blithely assumes that the husband of the couple (who is of Italian descent) can connect him with the mob for some un-Jehovah-ish dirty work. I can see why they didn't want to live in a gated community, but they should have looked a bit further than Loser Hill before putting down first and last months rent.

In the end they settle down, have some wacky adventures, and find joy in a simpler life. It will give me something to think about after my next equity event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happier Than a Billionaire.