Megan's Reviews > About a Mountain

About a Mountain by John D'Agata

F 50x66
Jan 30, 12

Read from January 23 to 29, 2012

What I enjoy most about D'Agata's "About a Mountain" is the way he takes the reader on a journey through his thoughts and discoveries that he uncovers as his interest perks in the Yucca Mountain. His consistent lists and sarcastic undertones regarding political abuse in our nation is captivating. D'Agata has a great way of informing the reader by his journey to finding his answers. He manages to inform the reader about many underlying issues with the Las Vegas area by asking one simple question "What is Yucca Mountain?"

I think what makes this story/essay a success is his lyrical form and his constant speculation. D'Agata is essential overloading the reader, which helps pull together a modern view on our society. We are fast-paced human beings constantly trying to digest all the information around us. D'Agata is simply delivering information to people in a way they can relate to. Even though D'Agata is tackling a whole bunch of social issues (Shoshone, waste, DOE, Harry Reid) I can't help but think that he is trying to find humor in what everyone finds as acceptable conditions for people to live in, and how easily people can be manipulated by politicians and our government. Sure, this essay is mostly about nuclear waste, but maybe there is more to it. Maybe D'Agata is trying to get the reader to stop being so complacent with what our government tells us and encouraging the reader to actually read between the lines with what is being told to us, to stop and actually listen to what is being said through our multi-media news outlets.

So after finishing the book, overall I'd have to say I enjoyed it. I enjoyed for all the reasons that many critics may dislike it. I thought his style of writing was engaging, and invoked thought. D'Agata accomplishes his mission on informing the reader on, well, basically a long tangent on what is wrong with the society we live in. It never felt like I was reading a research paper on Yucca Mountain, but I know a lot more about the Las Vegas area than I ever thought I would be able to discover in just one easy read. Its not glamorous, its raw, sarcastic, and forces us to think about things a bit more. This isn't a book trying to force the reader to any action really, he lets the reader decide were to go from here after we have taken in all of what encompasses the mountain.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About a Mountain.

Anne Lund Great review, I agree with you. The book is about so much more than what is given. I like the way you describe us as "constantly trying to digest all the information around us."

Lani Burdette what a great review! I agree with most of this. Made me think a lot more about more in depth questions about life!