Barbara Jean Byrem's Reviews > Cassastar

Cassastar by Alex J. Cavanaugh

Jan 23, 2012

CassaStar or Top Gun meets Star Wars in only the very best ways.

I started out reading this book thinking; OK, I ’ll keep an open mind. Space Opera/Intergalactic War/Male Bonding, not exactly my thing, but I’m trying to broaden my horizons. It turns out good writing is, well, good writing.

In no time at all I was invested, involved, and interested in these two guys. Their characters are vibrant with very real emotions, pasts and intersecting futures. I was engaged in the process of their lives and growth. The Sci-Fi element added additional interest in places where I would have thought unnecessary. I liked Byron despite his tough guy attitude, and Bassa proves to be a mentor anyone and everyone would fight for.

Mr. Cavanaugh flexes his writing chops by taking a genre normally reserved for a very tight demographic proving that story, plot line and above all characterization supersede niche market. In other words; Good job Mr. Cavanaugh. Your story held me to the end and beyond. I can’t wait to see where Byron goes with his life.

If you like Space Opera/Intergalactic War/Male Bonding you are going to love CassaStar. If that’s not typically your thing, but you want to be engaged, have the characters up close and personal, are looking to broaden your horizons, and enjoy some ‘really good writing’, try it. I think you’ll like it. I definitely did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cassastar.