_inbetween_'s Reviews > A Knight to Remember

A Knight to Remember by Christina Dodd

Jul 08, 08

Read in July, 2008

Dodd is my anti-Hunter, undoing much of that sickening subjogation "romance" with the novels I've read so far. I still haven't compared who wrote which story when/first, but when they start with similar plots, Dodd has a genuinely resourceful woman get together with a man who has to change (his views) for them to reach a happy end, not for her to accept submission and possession as the natural and right way and be compensated by sex whenever he wants to. Yet oddly enough I see reviews for Dodd claiming non-con where there wasn't one (but nearly prevented me from reading), while the really troubling hostile "romance" thrives elsewhere.

Dodd mentions God in the notes and in the text, but never comes across as preacherly or naive (instead pointing out that the enemy has luck if they win, ones own have god on their side, something very contemporary still). When peasants are brutally abused here, it doesn't ultimately benefit the heroine, as in Chadwick; rape isn't accepted as what every man "just did"; sex brings them together but never enslaves the heroine. The "baddie" Richard was also so funny in the final scene that I'd like to read his story now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Knight to Remember.