Phillip's Reviews > The World as Will and Representation, Vol 1

The World as Will and Representation, Vol 1 by Arthur Schopenhauer

This book is fascinating. It is like watching a train wreck that never ends.

Leave it to a man with an ego as large as the great outdoors to write a book about The Will being the fundamental object in creation.

In the process of developing his view he began by telling the reader not to bother reading his book if the reader is not prepared to read both volumes twice, along with his doctoral thesis, and the works of Kant and of Plato. That was the minimum reading list. He would also like for the reader to be familiar with Berkley, Locke, Spinoza, and to have read Asian religious texts such as "The Dhamba", "The Vedas", and "The Upanishads".

This book is a dense read. Why do I keep reading it? This sort of thing fascinates me. I like to find a truly different and well developed world view like this and dive in just to see how the person could believe what they did.

(view spoiler)

I would recommend this book to a patient reader, who can endure the repeated lambasting of professional philosophers and complaints of being neglected as a literary figure, interested in a unique vision of the existence of the universe that looks like a Western European version of Asian thought. It is also worthwhile as a critique of Kant.

I enjoyed watching this ontological philosophy unfurl to uncover everything. Or, maybe I just like watching wrecks that never seem to end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World as Will and Representation, Vol 1.

02/29/2012 page 140