Cj's Reviews > Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale

Hush by Donna Jo Napoli

Jan 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

This book was so disappointing.

The things I liked:
1. The realistic story plot. Taking people into slavery is often what happened, and I appreciate that the author tried to stick to the reality of our world.

2. The setting, I liked that it took place in a place other than a small town no-one's heard of, with just an average girl.... blah blah blah

And, that's about it, for now. Maybe I'll think of more later?

The things that I didn't like:
1. The misleading blurb. This is not a quest to discover herself. This is a story of trying to make the most of an incredibly depressing situation.

2. The depressing nature of the whole thing. Really? Nothing good happens. From her brother's hand getting chopped off, to becoming a slave, to getting beaten, bought, and sold, to becoming a man's play toy. it's too negative. I for one, am a fan of the happy ending. I do appreciate that not everything can be rainbows and butterflies but maybe a more upbeat ending? or the occasional tragic ending to prove a point. This ending is depressing to a book that doesn't really have a point. Besides being depressing. Rant over.

3. The main character doesn't know where she is, and therefore we don't we have no clue where she is. It mentions Arabs, and Brits, and Iceland, but it's all pretty confusing.

4. The way the main character just gives up (Yes, she goes by many names and doesn't talk so it's hard to remember). i know it's hard to be hopeful in hard times, but she just gives up so quickly

5. I hate the main character's arrogance. Sorry, but it's the one trait I just can't stand. She has the gall to call other people barbarians, stupid, dumb, and immoral, when she's stood in the exact same position and acted the exact same way.

Overall, I wouldn't say not to read this book, it's worth it to take a look at. Just don't be prepared for a happy ending.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush.