Tara's Reviews > Love That Dog

F_50x66
Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: eced-221
Read in February, 2012

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech was a book I enjoyed reading. I like how Jack changes throughout the story because at first he is really short with his teacher and doesn't really show interest in class and by the end he happens to write a poem about his dog Sky who he loves so much. I think Jack just needed a little boost of inspiration and to find some poems he was interested in. There wasn't much rhyming in this particular book so for the sounds criteria of evaluating poetry it doesn't really meet that part but the author does write in syllables to match the pace of the reading to the meaning of the poem. As far as images goes, the whole time I was reading I had a clear picture of what everyone in the book looked like and what was going on because the author was very detailed in her descriptions especially about the dog Sky. As far as a positive stretch goes, I guess this story had both positive and negative things about it because at first it focused in Jack's bad behavior but towards the end it talked about he totally changed his act around and his view on poetry. The appropriateness for occasions part applies to this book because it has to do with a pet and Jack's connection to his dog which a lot of people can relate to especially children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love That Dog.