Gina's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Goodreads Description- Meet Oskar Schell, an inventor, Francophile, tambourine player, Shakespearean actor, jeweler, pacifist, correspondent with Stephen Hawking and Ringo Starr. He is nine years old. And he is on an urgent, secret search through the five boroughs of New York. His mission is to find the lock that fits a mysterious key belonging to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11.

An inspired innocent, Oskar is alternately endearing, exasperating, and hilarious as he careens from Central Park to Coney Island to Harlem on his search. Along the way he is always dreaming up inventions to keep those he loves safe from harm. What about a birdseed shirt to let you fly away? What if you could actually hear everyone's heartbeat? His goal is hopeful, but the past speaks a loud warning in stories of those who've lost loved ones before. As Oskar roams New York, he encounters a motley assortment of humanity who are all survivors in their own way. He befriends a 103-year-old war reporter, a tour guide who never leaves the Empire State Building, and lovers enraptured or scorned. Ultimately, Oskar ends his journey where it began, at his father's grave. But now he is accompanied by the silent stranger who has been renting the spare room of his grandmother's apartment. They are there to dig up his father's empty coffin.

I am so sorry but this book was so confusing to me! I had no idea what was taking place and it took me forever to figure out who the other story was about. It got so bad in places that I just had to skim to get through. I have a feeling that this book is either a love it or hate it kind of book. So sorry....1 star.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

04/12/2012 page 16
04/13/2012 page 102
31.0% "OMG...I want to rip my eyes out of my head! This book is extremely strange and incredibly confusing. I will give it another try and if I don't get it by then I'm gonna give up. Not something I normally do...but this book stinks!"
04/13/2012 page 150