Kelli's Reviews > The Merchant's Daughter

The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: young-adult

The story is a sort of mix of Beauty + the Beast, with a Robin Hood like setting. Its the kind of 'crackling in the hearth' writing that makes a novel warm and cozy to read. And the idea of the story is first rate, which I love. This story has all the elements for a great novel. But a few things are super annoying about the plot. One is that Annabel is just so perfect. Almost hard to believe perfect.

I liked the author's portrayal of how hungry we should be for the Word of God, however, it comes out super quick for Annabel's character, all of a sudden she seeks God and the way she does it seems too perfect. Not like the road most of us have to go on before realizing how amazing God is. Also some of her thoughts are written so contradictory. She says she doesn't like Lord Ranulf, however, in her mind she describes him way to emotionally. It's kind of funny. One minute she wants to be a nun and the next she gets annoyed that Ranulf acts like he doesn't like her. Which makes the flow of the book super weird.

She also isn't a very fun heroine to read. She is so wishy washy, and not in a good way. Ranulf starts off as really intriguing, but I think where we lost interest in him is when his point of view is written in. I think this book would have benefitted from being first person only. It also makes the writing so redundant with twice the points of view. Lord le Wyse would have been a much more interesting character, had his points of view not been written in.
Its a shadow of a story that would have been excellent with a little better cultivation of the writing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Merchant's Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cathy Daniel I don't see her as wishy washy at all? We totally read this book differently lol