Aaron's Reviews > Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures

Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers

Jan 03, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, world_lit
Read in January, 2010

This book was excellent; do not be dissuaded by its length. The author has created a completely unique world independent of all your usual fantasy conventions. Dogs with horns, shark/grub hybrids, homunculi...the sheer amount of imagination at work is amazing.

However, all of the over-the-top creatures and races would mean nothing without a great story, and Rumo certainly delivers. Love is the central theme, but Moers also touches on the nature of death. I really enjoyed that he spent a little time on each character's back story as they were introduced. It did not detract or slow down the tale, but it helped fill in the considerable history of the land.

I highly recommend this book. The author has a whole series of books based around the continent he created here, but they are all stand-alone and unrelated (at least, that's how I understand it). I will definitely be checking out the other books in the near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures.