Michelle's Reviews > Whisper No Lies

F_50x66
Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: part-of-series, traded-sold
Read in January, 2012

I know I am going to sound like a broken record, but I adored this book. Johnny and Crystal were so perfect together. What started out as an occasional "have sex for a good time & then walk away" quickly moved into romantic territory that neither one of them was really prepared for. I think Crystal being kidnapped and almost lost to the underbelly of sexual slavery was the beginning of the wake-up call for Johnny. When he realized how close he came to never being with her again, he was able to admit to himself how important she was to him. Crystal was so much fun. She was spunky and sarcastic and so brave and resourceful. It was a little "out there" - how she hung in there with the BOI guys on their missions, but she was a total kick-ass heroine without the ballsy, over-the-top attitude. She was tough when she needed to be (even when she didn't want to be) and yet total mush inside when it came to Johnny. I loved his protectiveness, possessiveness and tenderness toward her.

There were only two things that kept me from making this a 5 star read. The villain - Yao Long, was almost "B movie"-ish. I know men like him exist and there are people who run entire criminal empires, but I almost didn't buy into him as a real villain. Also, did we HAVE to go there at the end with Johnny pushing Crystal away because of his inferiority complex? His "I'm not good enough for her" mantra was overused. Hadn't this couple been through enough in the book... we really needed one more conflict between them?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper No Lies.