Sara's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: biography, memoir-club-selections
Read from February 01 to 09, 2012

Read this for Memoir Book Club. We all enjoyed Fuller's raw, rich descriptions of Africa and agreed that she's a gifted writer. She approaches painful and controversial topics (racism, war, mental illness, abuse, poverty, death) with a strange mix of candor and grace that allows her story to be simultaneously heartbreaking and hopeful. This reminded me very much of Jeanette Walls' memoir, The Glass Castle, in that way. Both women had parents who were so eccentric they were compelled to live "off the grid" in deplorable circumstances, taking their children along for the chaotic, adventurous ride.

The only complaint we had about Fuller's storytelling is that the timeline is sometimes difficult to follow. The family moves around a lot and it's hard to keep track of the African groups, civil wars and political problems that keep shifting from place to place.

I just discovered that Fuller wrote another book that focuses on her mother's life. Nicola is easily the most intriguing character in Dogs, and I look forward to reading more about how she became that way.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.