Emily's Reviews > Jasper Jones

Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: botb-challenge-2012, books-for-guys, favorites, historical-fiction, printz, mystery, teen-books-for-adults, ya-lit
Read from April 12 to 15, 2012

Fantastic - beautifully written, great dialogue, full of wonderful references. Can't wait to re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jasper Jones.

Ariel Cummins I loved this book -- so well written!

Emily I know! It was really great. I think it would work so well in an English class; it could be paired with To Kill a Mockingbird or Pudd'nhead Wilson or any other number of things. I'm thinking of recommending it to the high school, actually - they're looking for all-sophomore read. What do you think?

message 3: by Ariel (last edited Apr 17, 2012 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariel Cummins Yes!! I think it would open up a lot of opportunities, too, to talk about racism and how it exists in other forms/against different groups than in America. I mean, obviously most kids learn about segregation, race riots, poll taxes (hopefully? It's important!), but I think other countries get ignored except for basic history type stuff.

I am pretty settled now in my belief that this book should have won the Printz instead of Where Things Come Back. Just because it was so well written and the characters were so good. Thoughts?

Emily Hmmm. I really need to re-read Where Things Come Back because I zoomed through it last time (too stressed about what was going to happen to appreciate it fully, I think). But after one read through each, I think I maybe agree with you. Jasper Jones just has so many layers, and they work so beautifully together. WTCB is also layered, but I'm not sure it always works quite as well. I don't know, I really liked them both!

Ariel Cummins I liked Where Things Come Back, but I think it was trying SO HARD to be literary fiction that it comes off as a little strained. Whereas Jasper Jones just seemed like the author was just trying to write the best book he could and it just happened to be really amazingly written.