D.Kana's Reviews > The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: top-notch, fantasy
Read from January 23 to 27, 2012

Read full review here: http://everafterperspective.wordpress...

First of all, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas is not even a complete novel. It’s a novella, the first of I believe four (maybe?) before the big release of Maas’s first novel, Throne of Glass. The Assassin and The Pirate Lord was an excellent read –making me super excited for the big debut later this year. S.J Maas is an excellent writer. I’ve always loved her writing ever since I read her story on fictionpress. It’s no doubt that she has gotten better over the years. To me, she writes third person narrative perfectly and is the ideal example of how YA third person narrative should be.

I love epic novels and this novella definitely lives up to being epic. Trust me, I had my epic music blasting while I read this entire novella in pretty much one sitting. I absolutely adore Celaena Sardothien. She’s got a nasty attitude, she’s arrogant, sharp tongued and beautiful. Only someone like Maas can make those traits lovable on a main character. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more of that when Throne of Glass comes out. What surprised me most from this short story is how much I came to love the characters in just a short amount of time. Even Sam—who at first I thought was just some background character—became the man of my dreams. By the time I got to the last page of the book, I was crushing hard on him (now I’m completely unprepared for what Throne of Glass has in store for us). I even like Rolfe, who seemed charming in his own way. Most of all, my favorite character is Celaena, and very rarely do I end up liking the female as a favorite character in a novel.

The plot was simply great. The pacing was perfect and my heart was racing the entire time – as if I was standing (or running) next to them during the whole thing. I’m impressed by Maas’ ability to do that in such a short story. For once, I’m in love with a story that has nothing to do with the romance aspect of it. I definitely recommend you read this and of course, Throne of Glass when it debuts. I can hardly wait for the next novella which comes up soon.

Rating: 5/5

Theme Music: Assassin’s Creed Revelations Theme by Lorne Balfe (especially from 3:00 onwards!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord.