Luann's Reviews > A Ball for Daisy

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: caldecott-medal, wordless, picture-books, 2012
Read on February 15, 2012

I love wordless picture books, and there are some top-notch examples out there. This one tells a great story of Daisy the dog who loves her red ball. When another dog pops the ball, Daisy is very sad. I thought the resolution to the problem was very lovely.

Chris Raschka's illustrations here aren't my favorite, although I do like them better than his illustrations in Yo! Yes? - probably because of the cute dogs. Also I must say that the illustrations here do a GREAT job of telling the story. This wouldn't have been my top choice for the Caldecott Medal, but it is a very fun wordless picture book - especially if you like dogs.

I was puzzled about the humans in the illustrations, though. For the first half of the book we only see the legs of the humans - which makes sense since we are obviously seeing the world from Daisy's point of view. But then suddenly we have the whole picture - humans with complete bodies and faces. It starts when Daisy's owner is comforting her over the loss of her red ball. Is this because Daisy suddenly sees humans as more than legs that take her to the park? Hm, so I guess I'm not as puzzled about it as I thought. And the illustrations are much deeper than I first thought. Maybe they do deserve a Caldecott!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Ball for Daisy.