kari's Reviews > Bunheads

2207055
Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya, 5-star
Read from January 20 to 22, 2012

I loved this story and the way it's told. It's first person present and you feel that you are experiencing the story along with Hannah. She has lived and breathed ballet for most of her life, attending a prestigious ballet school from the age of fourteen which neccessitated living away from home and then joining the company at seventeen. There is the constant rehearsals and classes and competition for better parts and advancement. I could feel Hannah's frustration.
One of the things I most enjoyed was the character of Jacob. He is well-drawn, but what I liked best about him is that he isn't controlling or manipulative. He doesn't try to change Hannah and lets her make decisions that are right for her. He isn't immature or behaving like some self-centered jerk which is refreshing.
I feared that there was going to be the too-done drama of the love triangle, but this isn't how things worked. I was very happy about that, that there is much more to the story than a love triangle.
I will add a word of caution: if you aren't familiar with ballet terminology or backstage words, some of this could be a bit of a rough read, not knowing exactly what's being done or seen. I think it would have been nice to maybe have a list of ballet terms/steps/positions, maybe with simple drawings. I know ballet so I wasn't bothered and could envision her dancing, but I think if you don't have some reference it could make reading this one a bit rougher.
I will definitely look forward to what Sophie Flack writes next.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunheads.