Bonnie's Reviews > The Summer I Turned Pretty

Jan 23, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009-books, young-adult, ya-contemporary
Read in August, 2012

Points to Han for making it a truly beachy read. The present timeline and flashbacks really do invoke the hazy summer days of childhood, when you had nothing to do but goof off and hang out and basically live in a swim suit. And it was a very fluffy and a fast read.

On the other hand:

(a) Belly is the stupidest nickname ever (up there with “Baby”) and I respect Bells less for not trying to shake it.

(b) I did not care for this love triangle. Both brothers sucked. And there was no chemistry. I think Cam (who Isabelle met first at a Latin competition then again at a bonfire) was great (smart, confident, cute, good at Latin(!), clean cut and clean living but not judgy, etc.), but sadly he was just a placeholder until the Fisher boys finally came around. I hated the Fisher boys when they were huge jerks to Cam out of jealousy. They make fun of him for everything, every chance they get. Grow up, Fisher boys! You suck! Conrad was the worst – moody, bad-boy-wannabe. Jeremiah was supposed to be the nice one, but he can’t be a man about anything. Belly deserves such a rotten love triangle! And Cam is lucky he got far, far away from this madness. Go find a nice girl who deserves you, Cam!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer I Turned Pretty.