Mark's Reviews > The Leopard

The Leopard by Jo Nesbø

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, thriller
Read from January 23 to February 19, 2012

I am returning to Nesbo after having read his first book, so I really don't have a full history of his troubled but brilliant investigator, Harry Hole.

It wasn't necessary to understand what was going on, though. Since his last disastrous case, Hole had hibernated in Hong Kong and become an opium addict, when the of-course-beautiful Norwegian detective Kaja Solness is sent to retrieve him. And yes, it's the beginning of an intense relationship. The Oslo police want Harry back because someone is committing serial murders with a particularly gruesome device known as a Leopold's apple (I'll let you find out what it is).

On top of that, there is an intense rivalry between the homicide group in the city Crime Squad and a separate national police agency known as Kripos, headed by an ambitious and brutal commander, Michael Bellman.

In the meantime, Harry's father is dying, his wife and son have left him over the previous case, he can't seem to stop going on benders, and he is deeply misled about the killer more than halfway through his investigation.

You can complain that, like other procedural thrillers, Harry is just a little too rough around the edges, Kaja is a little too beautiful, Michael a little too venal, but the pacing and mystery never lag, and the whole thing concludes in a violent and hair raising showdown in Africa.

Put it this way: of the four or five books I had going at once, this is the one I kept opening up when I had the chance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leopard.

01/26/2012 page 18