Kristi's Reviews > A Witch in Winter

A Witch in Winter by Ruth Warburton

May 09, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read on February 25, 2012

I love books about witches. I think perhaps my obsession with witches all started with the movie Teen Witch. It’s a movie from the late 80′s about a girl who discovers she is a witch… or perhaps it stemmed from another witch movie from the late 80′s The Worst Witch. (Which was also a book!) I mean who wouldn’t want magical powers! I even wrote a book in elementary school about turning myself invisible and playing pranks on people at school. Regardless I’ve wanted to discover that I just happened to be a witch. It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m still hoping.

But anyway… we should really talk about A Witch in Winter. I wanted to read this book because of the witch aspect, and I’m so glad that I did! It was such a fun book to read and I can’t wait for the next one!

Anna Winterson, moves to the small town Winter with her father. (Winterson and Winter… did you catch that!) Anyway, they move into this big creepy house, from what I can take this house has a lot of secrets we have yet to discover. Anna makes a few new friends at school and a few enemies too. This isn’t spoilery since it’s in the summary, but Anna finds out she is a witch when unknowingly enchants a boy at school after her friends find a spell and have some fun at a slumber party. (Wow run-on sentence!) This novel however, is not your typical witchy romance. There is a darker aspect to the novel as well, a good vs evil element, if you will. I think readers who love paranormal with romance but are looking for something a little different, will really like this one.

I loved Anna’s character. She continued to surprise me throughout the entire story, she’s not at all your typical heroine and that was refreshing. I loved that she didn’t do what I expected her to do most of the time. Although I do have to admit there were a few times I wanted to give her a hard love tap! And Seth was such a great guy, it was nice to have a paranormal read with the love interest not being a jerk.

And this might sounds a little funny… but I LOVED the UK slang in the book! I hope they don’t change that if they do end up publishing it in the US, it helped cement the setting of the story so well.

I was so thrilled to have a chance to read this book and I sooooo can’t wait for the next one! I’m not sure if this one is going to be released in the US (fingers crossed) but it’s worth the read if you can get a UK copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Witch in Winter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cat Yay, witches!

Kristi Cat wrote: "Yay, witches!"

I'm really liking it so far too! i'm on chapter 7!

message 3: by Nevey Badr (new) - added it

Nevey Badr Can't wait for the review.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim From YAYeahYeah I really enjoyed this one too! Can't wait for the sequel.

Natalie (Natflix&Books) Teen Witch, hee, hee. I cannot even tell you how many times I watched that movie--so horrible. Great review!

Kristi Natalie wrote: "Teen Witch, hee, hee. I cannot even tell you how many times I watched that movie--so horrible. Great review!"

right!?! i tried to watch it this halloween and i was like... "why did i ever like this movie!?!"

Tara Blumberg Omg I loved the movie Teen Witch when I was a kid. I watched it on TV this passed October, it was a great blast from the past. I laughed so hard at the song the guy sings with the boom box I'M HOT AND YOUR NOT. Hahaha. So funny. Thanks for the movie reference it was awesome. Any way, I am definitely going to read this book thanks to your review.