Erin's Reviews > A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France

A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead

Jan 23, 12

Read in January, 2012

I liked this book (as much as you can say that) and it was refreshing (as much as you can say that) to read a story of WW2 from a different perspective. It is often from the Jewish, allied troops (especially American) or the heroics of the resistance. This book talks about the latter but rather than the actions of them and how they "saved France" it talks about the women who were captured and their experience. I think any book that deals with this sort of material will always make you think how you'd shape up in such a situation. It is scary to think that in that situation would I have the courage to fight, then confronted with such misery would I have the courage to keep trying to fight to stay alive. I found it interesting although not altogether surprising that those with the strongest political convictions were more likely to survive mentally.
Surprisingly this story isn't as emotional as you would expect, they fit so many women into the piece that you don't get attached to many characters so while you read it with horror you don't necessary feel emotionally attached to many of the women.
Although I had heard after WW2 (and indeed other wars/genocide) that family and friends often didn't want to hear about the horror it was interesting to see it again happen here, these women had nobody to talk to on their return. This is fascinating with the passing of time as I think my generation has gone through school and been taught about the holocaust and WW2 year after year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Train in Winter.