Donna's Reviews > Greatshadow

Greatshadow by James Maxey

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 28 to 31, 2012

Between the set-up information and the slightly clipped prose style, it took me some time to get into this book. I totally loved the middle third, about high-powered heroes making their way through a hostile landscape while dealing with the tensions among their group. The ending wrapped things up very neatly, but felt a bit overcomplicated to me.

I liked the heroine, Infidel, though I wish she'd been a little less objectified. All of the secondary characters were really interesting, and I wanted to spend more time with some of them. There were some great abilities on display in the group, and I liked the organizational and political details of the various factions.

I do have to say that I didn't care for Stagger much. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a dead, alcoholic narrator is freaking fantastic, and Stagger fills the role well when his mind is on the job. Unfortunately, he behaves in a creepy, proprietary way towards Infidel, including invisibly sitting in on private conversations and intimate moments. His stalking and spying didn't exactly make me sympathetic towards his romantic intentions. It was even enough to make me feel bad for poor, shiny Tower. That guy was a total goof, but he seemed like he'd been messed up by the same system that Infidel barely escaped. And at least he was straightforward.

Despite my issues with the squick-factor of Stagger's characterization, I really liked the adventure parts of the story. I'll probably try something else from the author in hopes that I'll like a different protagonist better.

(Yet again, I really wish we could do half stars. This one was better than many of my other three-star reads, but I can't quite bring myself up to a four.)

I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greatshadow.