April's Reviews > I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers

I Read It, but I Don't Get It by Cris Tovani

Jul 22, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, school

The author gives real world, workable strategies to help struggling readers with their comprehension. She gives specific examples from her own classroom that give me hope, because I've had the same experiences myself.

She says over and over again that we need to TEACH the strategies, rather than expect students to come into the classroom with this knowledge. In addition, she says admits that the strategies don't always work with every piece of text, and encourages the teacher to use multiple strategies so that students can know what works best for them.

She doesn't claim that her strategies will bring students up to their grade level or that they'll magically spark a love of reading. I appreciate that, because so many "experts" DO, and then I use their strategies with disastrous results.

These strategies are practical, and I'll definitely be consulting this book throughout the school year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Read It, but I Don't Get It.

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-1)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.K. (new)

K.K. Good to know. I'd like to pick that up myself.