Soumi's Reviews > Everbound

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Mar 12, 13

bookshelves: mythology, young-adult, review-copies, owned-copy, to-review, books-i-reviewed
Read from February 23 to March 06, 2013

“I waited for you."
"But it's a race. Why did you wait for me?"
"I always wait for you. I'm always waiting for you.”

Tragedy in wasteland of unfathomable pain, hopeless love is a divine whine. I found this book is just as tortuously magical. A beautiful second instalment that kept the consistency of the series. It was tragic and hopeful in same line, with a grand tour to Everneath and fighting off zombie like creatures with brains. I like books of any genre but when it comes to Geek mythology, its insanely irresistible for me. The moment I finished Everneath I felt a hidden scorch in my skin to read Everbound and this one year of waiting was simply as tortures as can get.

Jack has sacrificed himself to save Nikki. Now it a guilt ridden Nikki wants to bring the love of her life at any cost. But her only ticket to Everneath is Cole the bad boy who is sole responsible for all the trouble Nikki faced. So they embark a journey to Everneath, deterring all the obstacles in their way. But nothing comes with a price….isn’t it? Just like Orpheus paid by his life, for Eurydice

I loved Nikki in this book. The determination placed up to hide the feeling of loss and guilt, the swilling passion in depth of her heart and above all he dedication. She knew she was taking advantage of Cole’s love for her, using his connection to Everneath. Still her dedication to Jack just left me awed.

Cole always tried to be the bad guy. He kept convincing Nikki that he was no hero, but in the end he helped her, know it might endanger his own existence. I liked how his character has been portrayed, complex yet sympathetic. But also, there were portions of his minds in depth of danger that were off limits to anyone, even to Nikki. Yet, with all his flaws, I loved Cole.

Jack, dude, do i know ya? I have nothing much to say about Jack. His character was overshadowed by Cole. Only that he was holding on Nikki’s love, the only hope of his survival. However he mostly appeared in Nikki’s flashbacks and dreams. There not much Jack in this sequel but I hope to see him in action soon.

Everbound was written in a very clear language and in such a touching way. Every chapter was equally exciting. The ending was not a cliff-hanger like the first book, it was rather a comedy than a tragedy.
The series is not you usual re-imagining of Persephone and Hades myths, it's much more different and original.

Overall, if you have already read Everbound, you’ll be changed for a crime if you don’t read Everbound. And if you haven’t yet read Everneath, you must hurry to buy it. Trust me the series is worth reading.
40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everbound.

WitchyKilljoy That made me excited too. I just love her dynamic with Cole. Jack is too perfect. I mean..literally NO FLAWS. Its kinda annoying. And I just KNEW he would go into tunnels instead of Nikki. I knew that would happen. I dont think Cole stands a chance after that.

Rachael The cover looks amazing.

message 3: by Matei (new)

Matei Laura I like Cole better too. It's nice to see others who think the same.

message 4: by Haraiah Eve (new) - added it

Haraiah Eve Eeep! I know, right?! Cole is awesome!!!

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ i want that dress.. is she like the same girl on the cover.. woww.. i have always loved that cover...

drowningmermaid Can anyone tell me if this borrows anymore from mythology? The links to myth seem pretty scant to me (only now starting book 1) and I'd be a little surprised if they still showed up in the second book.

Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥ Yep there is mythology, but mostly it is about the everneath, i think there will be more mythology in book 3..

Soumi I'm rather dying to know what will happen to Cole.