Gary Sedivy's Reviews > Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America

Ameritopia by Mark R. Levin

1419700
Mar 14, 12

Parts of this book were inspired. The rest was merely impressive! He traced the roots of political utopia from Plato, (yes that old Greek guy!), and Sir Thomas More, Hobbes, Marx, Woodrow Wilson, and FDR. All of these are connected by their desire to have the government be the source of the being of the subjects. The subjects exist to serve the government, not the other way round.
Levin also traces the theories of Locke and Montesquieu, joined with Jefferson, Madison, and other founders to help us see how our Constitution set a totally new concept - a limited government built to serve the people, and stay out of their way so they can grow and succeed.
The last chapters trace the incremental growth of regulations, for example on food. The list of smothering rules is staggering - no wonder our economy is suffering! There are so many, from so many different agencies, for so many small seemingly inconsequential reasons - but they add up to monumental hurdles.
A very informative and important book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ameritopia.

Gary Sedivy There were parts of this book that were inspired. The rest was merely impressive - to trace the roots of the assault on our Constitutional republic to Plato, Sir Thomas More,