JBradford's Reviews > Devil's Gate

Devil's Gate by Clive Cussler

Jan 22, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is another Kurt Austin adventure from the NUMA Files, and it's not bad. As a matter of fact, it is pretty darn good, considering that, as with all of Cussler's novels, it features an extraordinarily unlikely situation with wholly unbelievable action, based on science that just won't happen. But that has been true of all of Cussler's books, or books with which he is involved in these end-of-life pairings, and we still get the books and read them, because they're great fun to read. I really don't know why Hollywood does not make films out of more of Cussler's books.

Kurt Austin and his sidekick, Joe Zavala, just happen to be nearby when some bad guys start their plan of taking over the world--this time by stealing a mysterious cargo off a cargo ship off the Azores. Kurt leads the rescue effort and becomes marked by the bad guys as someone to dispose of. You might think he is gong to become romantically involved with the widowed captain's wife that he rescues, but instead the romance blooms when an attractive Russian scientist, who happens to be a former Olympics skating star, shows up to investigate an implausible physical anomaly that the our heroes discover while they're throwing a submarine race in order to rescue someone else … only she does not seem all that interested in the actual anomaly. Of course, we know that Kurt is going to save the world, but he has to go through some tough sledding in order to do it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Gate.