Debra Askanase's Reviews > The Dovekeepers

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

Apr 23, 13

bookshelves: book-club, fiction
Read from March 31 to April 01, 2013

A beautiful, lyrical, haunting retelling of the story of Masada, from the perspective of four women. The stories begin with the fall of the second temple in Jerusalem (70 AD) and end in 77 AD, years after the fall of Masada. The four women's stories are interwoven, both through family and also through their own relationships within Masada.

This was the best book I've read this year. It is beautifully written, compelling, and mesmerizing. Having recently visited Masada, it was all the more compelling. After reading this, I feel that I need to go again and see it with these new eyes - the eyes not just seeing the story of the battle of Masada, but of one who could imagine living daily life there and what being there would represent both the the Israelites and the Romans.

There are elements of "magic," as in every Alice Hoffman novel, which I've come to expect. Truth be told, I've never really loved any Alice Hoffman novel, but this one is special: I am sure it will remain with me as a favorite for a very long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dovekeepers.