Thorn MotherIssues's Reviews > A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown

A Thousand Lives by Julia Scheeres

U_50x66
Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: adoption-reading-challenge
Read in January, 2012

Blast; Goodreads just ate my review. I've already read the author's previous memoir about religious extremism and her family's experience of transracial adoption.

This view of the leadup to the murder-suicide in Jonestown is seen through the eyes of several church members, including one young man who joined the church while in foster care. Although the book didn't delve into it much, there were more than 20 kids in foster care who were brought to Guyana by their foster families, which blows my mind. Jim Jones and other church members had adopted children, often transracially, though there's not much discussion of the mechanics of how that worked. A good reminder about religious indoctrination in foster homes, which can be a major problem even beyond suicide/homicide cults.

On the other hand, I may have missed something since after page 240 my book switched to a long excerpt from Irshad Manji's latest and I'm not sure if that was intended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Lives.