Heather's Reviews > Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, owned, non-fiction
Read from February 17 to March 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake was not at all what I expected. This is my first memoir, so I was a bit skeptical, not sure what was in store.

What I found, after a slow start, is that Anna Quindlen has led a somewhat normal, yet extraordinary life. As she tells her story, she helps us as the readers to realize we all live unique and somewhat extraordinary lives ourselves. Though we may not see or sense it directly, we also affect people and events throughout our lives.

The quips and family stories make you smile, cry, and celebrate as if you were present and involved. Anna does a fine job of showing that even an "average" woman can make a difference. No matter how small the difference, a ripple effect will always follow.

I received this title as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. When I realized this was a memoir, I was unsure... but now I am very grateful for this joyful, self-explorative experience. To quote, "We are, after all, always a work in progress."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.

02/17/2012 page 20