Katie's Reviews > Once

1928123
Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: arc, own, alamw12, harperteen
Read from July 05 to 09, 2012

While I still felt that Once was a little lackluster, I enjoyed it much more than Eve and I think it did a great job of setting things up for the final book, Rise. Anna Carey's books may not be my favorites but I can definitely see why so many people like them.

Eve is not the same girl from the first book. She is much stronger, braver, smarter, and, in my opinion, easier to like. She can manage on her own now. In the first book she really did expect others to do everything for her but now she is better about doing things for herself and for others. Instead of just trying get by she is not trying to learn how to make a life in the Wilds. Her whole outlook is different and she really is a better character.

Now I know everyone wants to know about Caleb. Sadly there wasn't actually a whole lot of Caleb in Once. When he was present he was just as great as ever though. He's such a sweet guy!

And while I wouldn't call it a love triangle, a new guy does enter the scene and he definitely has some romantic feelings for Eve. I didn't think of him as a bad guy, he just could never take the place of Caleb. I'm not sure if Anna Carey really added him in for a love triangle effect or if he has a greater purpose later on. We will have to wait and see.

As for the king; let's just say his role is not quite what I expected it would be. I should have seen it coming but I didn't and I was pleasantly surprised by that. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say anything other than that it was a real shocker.

Really though I think the thing I liked about Once is the hint of more to come. Once is quite an action-packed book but it really makes you think that Rise is going to be kick-ass. The rebellion is coming and it's not going to be pretty.

Overall, Once was definitely a step up from Eve and it's left me with very high hopes for Rise.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once.

07/06/2012 page 32