Claire's Reviews > Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl-A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

Why Men Love Bitches by Sherry Argov

Feb 04, 12

Read from January 22 to February 04, 2012

Although this book contains some good advice, handy tips and plenty of focus on self-worth, it has one fault that prevents it from covering all bases. The author's theories all work on the premise of traditional gender roles. There is a lot of focus on the alpha male stereotype, and throughout the book the idea that all women have the same goals in a relationship is prevalent.

Not everybody fits into the author's polar presentations of male and female. She draws a lot from anecdotal evidence, and so too shall I: I am a woman, and I love the thrill of a chase. There is a whole section devoted to why women ought not to act as the initiator, which I personally found disheartening. Although the title suggests a forward thinking, liberal attitude towards relationships, this book was very conservative.

Finally, what bothered me most was the "dumb fox" theory - in short, that women should pretend the men in their lives are the ones with the authority whilst achieving their own goals in a sneaky or subtle manor. That is entirely the wrong message to send out to women, young or old. It contradicts the notions of pride and independence found elsewhere in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Men Love Bitches.

01/22/2012
02/02/2012
30.0% "There are some valuable game plans in there, and some good advice, but every suggestion is based on the premise of traditional gender roles, and not everyone fits into those. The alpha male stereotype is a key feature, and the author speaks is though every woman's goal in a relationship is the same. This leaves a lot of bases uncovered."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa I must admit, although some sections of this book made sense (ie: having enough self-respect not to be treated poorly) the 'dumb-fox scenarios sounded just plain exhausting!! Imagine trying to keep up that!