Daniel Henderson's Reviews > Die Young

Die Young by Michael DiMarco Hayley DiMarco

Jan 22, 12

Read in January, 2012

In their new book, Die Young: Burying yourself in Christ, authors Hayley and Michael Dimarco have put together a book that challenges Christians to die young and bury themselves in Christ. This is a book exhorting us as Christians to die to sin and live in Christ.
The message of Die young is radical, but only radical in the sense that it shatters the way we live as Christians. This book could easily be a prequel to David Platt’s book Radical. “Die Young is about that kind of death, the dying-to-self kind of death, the ‘living sacrifice’ that Paul wrote to the Romans about in Romans 12. This ability to deny yourself so that you don’t serve your desires over his (p. 13).” Throughout the book we are constantly presented with bible saturated paradigm shifting illustrations of what the bible commands the Christians life to be. Death is the new life, Down is the new up, less is the new more, weak is the new strong, slavery in the new freedom, confession is the new innocence, red is the new white.
There are two things that I found very helpful about this book. One, was everything written in the book is deeply rooted in scripture. Everything idea they present is a restatement of what is found in the Bible. I found this very cool, also a lot of the verses they used are the ones people brush off as not for today, or that doesn’t apply to me type of verse. The second thing was the transparency of the stories they shared throughout the book. They share honestly the struggles they have had and do have with the truths presented. Hayley says, The more I buy the better I feel, at least for the moment but soon all that stuff starts to make me feel bloated and out of control. I ask myself why I look to stuff to fulfill all my needs when God is all-sufficient. I guess I have yet to fully believe that, as long as I go elsewhere for the “more” I desire. Each chapter is filled with stories and the author’s struggles and victories of the truths presented.
Overall, Die Young – Burying yourself in Christ is a fantastic book. There are a lot of catchy phrases in the book which make them easy to remember and fun to read. My copy is filled with highlights and underlines of all the great things said. Die Young will give you a vision to dig deeper and bury yourself in Christ, and find contentment, safety, freedom and victory in living for him.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Young.