Daniel Henderson's Reviews > Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books

Lit! by Tony Reinke

Jan 22, 2012

Read in November, 2011

When I read the press release about Lit! I was very excited to read the book. I read a lot of books and was excited to receive practical advice on how to read in the light of a Christian worldview, and what to read.
The first thing that I really appreciated about the book was his emphasise on scripture as ultimate. He explains that we should seek to read as much scripture to saturate our mind—to shape our worldview by scripture, not Christian books. He then shares a wonderful analogy of the bible being solid Gold, and Christian books being gold leaf—this is striking imagery to show us as Christians the treasury we have in God’s Word. If anything is to be taken from this book, i believe the supremacy of scripture over all other reading material will have this greatest transforming effect over your life as a Christian.
The next section which helped me out quite a bit was the section on writing, and highlighting in our books. This was helpful to me, and as I have started writing in my books and writing questions that come to mind, I have benefitted much more from the books I have read. And, I believe we should take Tony’s advice in practice and will benefit greatly from doing so.
The final point from the book I will share is how new media has changed our evolution in reading.
Traditionally, a reader selected one book and sat alone in a reading chair. When great ideas were encountered,the reader internalized those ideas and reflected on them…Now, when we come across an idea that we like, we are tempted to quickly react, to share the idea with friends in an email, on Facebook, or on a blog. (Page 142)
With the advent of Facebook and twitter, the step on contemplating and internalizing truths we read is beginning to be lost from our reading. This is an important step to be changed by what we read, and have a chance to hold it up against the truths of scripture before sharing it with friends.
There is so much more in this book that makes it a must read for anyone looking for a clear biblically driven model for choosing books to read and building a library. I will recommend this book to all my friends from pastors, to seminary students, and laypeople alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lit!.