Emilie's Reviews > Regency Buck

Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction
Read from January 22 to 24, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Regency Buck.

01/22/2012 page 140
36.0% "migraine medicine"

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Hope your head is better now...

Emilie thanks! the medicine isn't working, but i really don't want to go to hospital for a shot.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I'm sorry. Does anything else sometimes help? Caffeine? My roommate drinks a soda or coffee (followed by one drink of alcohol if its after work) when he gets migraines.

Emilie oh, i should try coffee, i didn't think of that. (it's so hard to think like this!) i used to drink coffee for them, & it helped me too. then i quit coffee about a month ago. vicodin & phenegen & sleep usually works for me, but i can't sleep.

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Maybe tea and then a shot of whiskey?

Emilie i keep thinking if only i could knock myself out like in fight club! i'm not sure if that'd count as restful sleep, though.

message 7: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Noooo... probably not healthy. In sleep-emergencies I go with alcohol because it usually ensures at least 3-4 hours sleep before the sugars convert and I wake up with a sugar high. But it is hard to get back to sleep after that. Can you sleep after drinking coffee?

Emilie yes, well, i used to be able to sleep on coffee. i quit cause it seemed to be making me anxious, but it had never done that before. alcohol tends to make me manic/hyper/anxious/dance on the tables.

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Hmm. Have you had brandy? That is supposed to be more sedative. I would avoid drinks with lots of chemicals or sugar. Maybe 4 or so ounces of coffee or tea, wait an hour, and have an ounce or less of whiskey, brandy, or a digestif?

Emilie i've never had brandy. that sounds right for reading heyer. i've always wanted to try a hot toddy, though i'm not sure what that is, it sounds sedating.

message 11: by Miriam (new)

Miriam It is! It's brandy (usually, but you can use another alcohol if you prefer) mixed with hot water, sugar, and spices. Traditional for chilly weather and sickness. Worth trying.

Emilie thanks, that sounds pretty good.

message 13: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Are you feeling any better today? I hope you got some sleep.

Emilie thanks for asking, um, no sleep again. (i wanted to say yes!) it seems like when this happens, i forget how to sleep.

message 15: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I'm sorry :( I think sometimes when one doesn't sleep for a day or two it becomes a pattern. That happens to me anyway. Are you going to try having a drink?

Emilie yes, that's what i think, it becomes a pattern for me, too. i can't decide. i was about to get some brandy and then i remembered why i'm not supposed to drink at all, and i guess sleeplessness makes me indecisive. i did make a v hot toddy (i know, but...), and i'm about to try that.

message 17: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Once I haven't slept for a couple nights I start stressing about how I need to sleep, and then I lie awake thinking about sleeping... Oh for the innocent days of childhood when I slept ten hours a night without waking up.

Hope the toddy helps!

Emilie i do that too-stresing about sleeping, and then thinking about how losing more sleep will mess with me the next day so even more stressed about sleep.
and oh for the days of youth when i could go 7 days with no sleep and no troubles because of it.

i did finally get around 4 hours last night! yay for hot toddies and imaginary (and real) brandy.

message 19: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Yay! Hopefully that will put you back on a more-sleep pattern.

Emilie *smiles* me too! i'm thinking it's time to make one of those sleep rituals again. i used to do that, but i got lazy.

message 21: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Can't hurt!