Lee Broderick's Reviews > Lord of the Flies - Folio Society Edition

Lord of the Flies - Folio Society Edition by William Golding

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: fiction, fiction-classics
Read from April 08 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

I'm probably the last person in Britain to read this book, so I'll keep my review brief.

Somehow, through a combination of it being a set-text for all of the less academically able classes at my school, its adaptation as a school play and its featuring of children as the protagonists, I had formed the impression that this was a children's book. It really is not.

What William Golding achieves is remarkable, by subverting Treasure Island and Swallows and Amazons style fantasies of boyish adventure set in a world largely devoid of adults (and therefore preconceptions) he creates a canvas for exploring the nature of society, the creation of religion, the role of belief and above all, anarchy.

The only fault I can find with the book is the twee, contrived ending. If Golding's experience as a teacher had given him an insight into the character and interaction of boys then it seems his understanding that they need adult reassurance after all may have led him to abandon the genre subversion at the last for salvation. Stopping a couple of pages sooner would probably have been more in keeping with the rest of the novel, if less tidy and satisfactory.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies - Folio Society Edition.