Estara's Reviews > Mardie and the City Surgeon

Mardie and the City Surgeon by Marion Lennox

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Recommended to Estara by: http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/review-m...
Read from January 30 to 31, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Whether you really like this book will depend on how much you love that the heroine had a fulfilled life, of family and community - of fulfilling work and of love (she's a widow) - before and after she meets the hero and her first love (childhood friendship turning into love) again.

The hero has initially a really good psychological reason for wanting to get away from Banksia Bay and not attempting to follow the path of life of most people in Banksia Bay - to clarify he has a strong case of PTSD which has been enforced and encouraged by his parents and his aunt who was paid to take care of him after the initial tragedy.

He has never forgiven himself for what happened when he was 7 and he has made a big difference in many people's lives because of his money and drive to help. He has learned to love what he does but when illness forces him to take a step back from active work he is left at loose ends.

The thing that Mardie and Blake have to work through is the fact that he can't allow himself to see her way of life as fulfilling and quite good and he keeps underestimating her to the max while knowing that she and her family have always been the only refuge for him after the tragedy - he doesn't seem to have ANY friends at all.

All the personal connections he has are with the people of Banksia Bay. I find that devastating in a man of his age. It is really tough to read him constantly disparaging Mardie.

I give this book four stars for the lovely looks into Mardie's art, for her personal style, for Bounce and Betsie and old Charlie's glory, for the fun art gallery owner - and very much because Mardie KEEPS on calling Blake on his assumptions and makes it totally clear that she is and was happy (if her husband hadn't died, Blake would simply have been totally out of luck), that losing the ability to work in Africa doesn't mean that he has to stop his charity activities - that having a family and a home and happiness isn't a betrayal of the tragedy. Oh ^^ - and that if he decides to leave she will be sad, but then return to being happy with her life and family *cheers*.

Basically, she makes him grow up as a person - and how sad is it that a man in his 30s needs outside help for that. I am of the persuasion that after a certain point in our life we can't blame not changing on our parents or on previous incidents anymore (then again I had scary things happening when I was young which influenced me, but not at that level of trauma) - we have to work on change ourselves, if - of course - we want to change.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mardie and the City Surgeon.