Margot's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter B. Gillis

Jan 22, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, graphic-novel, 2012, spinoffs-adaptations
Read from February 22 to 28, 2012

This is a graphic novel adaptation of Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn. The illustrations are quite lovely, and it's fun to see another (different from the movie's) conception of the characters. But I found myself wishing that Peter Gillis, who did the text adaptation, had stuck more closely to the screenplay than the book. He used too much descriptive text for things that I thought could have been conveyed through the illustrations. I found the transition between scenes and the passage of time in the story often quite jarring. The adaptation stuck to the words of the book but lost much of its spirit. Through the choice of what dialogue was used in this version and what wasn't, and the lack of using the illustrations to convey things unspoken, I felt that all the books themes--love and loss, the hero and the journey, age and mortality--were lost. Even the part where Lir and Lady Amalthea fall in love felt glossed over and rushed.

Obviously, despite these shortcomings, I still immensely enjoyed this adaptation and will definitely read it again some time--next time focusing more on the illustrations and less on the text.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.