MacK's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Jul 19, 07

bookshelves: classics, brit-lit
Read in July, 2007

This book was practically shoved into my hands by my boss. He loved it...then again...he also loved The Scarlet Letter, that probably should have been a tip off.

I had seen the movie before I read the book and somehow came under the impression that it was a beautiful romance. Reading the book I'm completely befuddled as to how I ever came away with that impression...unless of course the film is totally different from the novel.

None of the characters are really sympathetic, and some are so irritatingly antagonistic towards eachother and completely unfounded prejudices (handled without the slightest trace of Austen's humor) that I found myself rooting for the complete destruction of Wuthering Hieghts the grange and everyone remotely associated with them both. I hadn't been that set against the heroes since I rooted for Leather Face in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and yes, I believe I might be the first person to connect Leatherface to Heathcliff).

I'm not quite sure what others see in it, but I'm willing to hear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel I couldn't stand this book. I don't know how anyone could ever call it a classic, let alone a love story. All I found in it was bitterness, hatred, selfishness, and... ugh. Anyway, I believe we decided to call it a classic because someone didn't want to disagree with someone else which led to them all deciding it should be considered a great book of its time... if that makes any sense. Reading the reviews, I was so grateful that other people saw how terrible this book was, and that it wasn't just me.
I struggled through the whole novel. It was tiring, too detailed (and I love detailed books as well, especially Jane Austen's writing), and, in no way, a love story.
I like Jane Eyre... I can't exactly say why. But I would not blame anyone for never, ever opening this book, even written by one of the Bronte sisters.
Okay, maybe that was too harsh. My brother enjoyed Wuthering Heights, so I'm willing to hear why anyone else would enjoy it too.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

There is a hidden passion that is hiding inside the pages. The passion that arises when Heathcliff and Catherine are together. From childhood, they can't be separated. They understand each other and love only each other. The world is nothing and was nothing until they found each other.

"so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same" This quote explains the feelings she can't express to the man she loves (wasn't it illegal to marry the person you were brought up with), so instead, she rots from inside. She rots because because she is not a full person. Heathcliff rots because he is not a full person. They are both split and cannot seem find a way to attach back together, like how they were attached when they were children.

Now, I know she and Heathcliff were horrible and not likable, but that is the point. I felt like this was a message to the readers. Here are two people who are supposed to go through life together, as lovers, but the cruelty of the world separated them and now they will have to live even though they are dead inside. How can you be alive when a vital organ is missing? It's like going through life with half a heart. You cannot function like a normal person. It's impossible. That is why they were horrible, they were broken.

You know that feeling that something is missing in your heart? Something or someone is not by your side and you start feeling like you are not whole. ...and you start getting agitated and Impatient....like waiting for someone that won't come....ever!

This novel shows how unfair life can be, how good people turn into bad peopl by child abuse, how people become bitter and cold by jealousy and revenge. How people start to really act like they don't have full hearts because they really don't.....

Some might roll their eyes at this and say melodrama! But I find this novel to be true to every person's broken heart.

Not being able to touch and feel the person you most love in this world can destroy you. From inside out.

I think Emliy Bronte wrote a novel that desribes the hidden depth of the human emotion. I respect her. I respect this novel. I think she was a brilliant writer and observer.

MacK Wow...Gattaca, I'm sold. This is a much better argument than other one's I've heard ("it's a classic" or "you're a stupid American, you can't possibly understand love"). I think that your reading on the irredeemable characteristics of the characters offers a far more tangible and logical theory behind the characters and the writing.

Thank you for sharing your view, it's great to hear good thinking about classical literature.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2012 10:43AM) (new)

Thank you for respecting my viewpoint:)

I always enjoy getting into a deep discussion about a book. What helped me in liking this book was that I did not see it realistically, more metaphorically.

I do see why people hate this book though since everyone interprets a novel differently.

MacK I think that there are times when I fall into metaphorical places of reading and times when I limit myself to the literal. Whenever that happens I find myself missing something from the book. In reality any time you read it helps to look at a piece from both sides.

If you overemphasize the literal it can be maddeningly simplistic; if you overemphasize the metaphorical you can navel gaze past the point of logical merit. As long as we discuss it with passion (as you did) and willingness to listen (as we both did) things will work out fine.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, looking at it from both sides help. One perspective thinking defeats the purpose and enjoyment level of books. Not even just books, but movies, music and even understanding people.

I always try to see a picture from many different angles. Like you said, take both into perspective so there will be a clear and wonderful understanding between two people.

You seem like a pretty open minded human being:).