Nancy McClure's Reviews > Good Benito

Good Benito by Alan Lightman

Oct 11, 09

Recommended for: smart folk (see, you want it now, right?)
Read in February, 2001 — I own a copy

I feel almost guilty recommending this book SO highly, because I feel that my personal connection to it is so dependant upon some personal correlation - to throw in the (non-dramatic) spoiler: the scene in which the protagonist has a FLASH moment of 'break-through' clarity while in the shower..... how more personal can that moment be?? and YES, I felt the writing EXACTLY captured the nature of such a lightening bolt breakthrough, which I think relates to ANY creative person - science, mathematics, design - ALL of it.

*amendment: realizing that not ALL my design friends 'got' this - I think it's basis of truth hits me bc the design of the protagonist is under the scrutiny of being a Fundamental Truth. A concept of philosophical and scientifically structural validity that new worlds could be built upon. I realize that not all of my design comrades feel this 'longevity necessity' to their work, but I related to it completely.

I loved this book, seriously. I've given the compact 4x7 hardback away to no less than 3 other 'thinkers' I know. Can't say they truly appreciated it (har har) but they still talk to me. So far, so good.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Benito.