Jessica McCann's Reviews > The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

Jun 08, 2012

Read from April 03 to June 01, 2012

The Artist's Way is a thought-provoking read. It's broken down into 12 chapters and intended to be read slowly, one chapter per week. This was tough for me. I really wanted to fly through it, as I do with most "self-help" type books. I forced myself to slow down and read one chapter a week, and I think I got more out of it as a result. Some chapters applied to my situation more than others (and some not at all), which is probably the case for most people. Yet, there were nuggets of wisdom that resonated with me in nearly every chapter.

The general idea of the book is that we all were created and thus we all have creativity within us yearning to be expressed. We are all artistic in our own way, and when we allow ourselves to express that we are happy. If you've ever dreamed of doing something creative (whether it's ballroom dancing, painting your living room, writing a novel, or knitting a sweater), you owe it to yourself to just do it. "Stop telling yourself that creativity is a luxury." Or that it's too late or not practical. Allow yourself to let go and do what you want to do, and learn to ignore the well-meaning (or not so well-meaning) naysayers and devil's advocates. Don't worry about whether your art is any "good." Leave that to whatever higher power you believe in. The simple act of "doing" will lead to good things.

This is a book that will stay with me for a long time, and it will have a permanent place on my shelf for future reference.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Artist's Way.

message 1: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly Weiss Jessica, I'd love to know what you think of it before I decide whether or not to buy it. Thanks.

Jessica McCann Holly wrote: "Jessica, I'd love to know what you think of it before I decide whether or not to buy it. Thanks."

Thanks, Holly. I'll be posting a review in the coming weeks. So far I'm getting a lot out of it.