JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore

Apr 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: humor, fiction, own, received_for_review, 3_stars, z_author_american, covers_i_like, z_read_in_2012, z_setting_france, gave_away
Read from April 04 to 16, 2012

I have mostly been able to follow Christopher Moore into his craziness with success. He makes a joke and I laugh. It might be the weirdest thing ever (Humpback whales with "Bite Me" on their tails?), but I get it. But then there was Fool. And now there is Sacre Bleu.

I got so tired of having absolutely no freaking idea what on earth was going on. I mean, zero idea. You probably have a better idea what's going on than I did. Notice that I didn't write a synopsis? There's a reason.

Individual elements worked well for me. I liked coming across all these painters and seeing them...misbehave. Especially Monet. I read a book about him once. I liked Lucien and Henri a lot. They had been left a little broken by the women in their lives, but they were still young painters (Or bakers. Or counts.) out on the town having a little fun. And sex. And alcohol.

Paris is always a good location to read about. I'm not sure how much I really want to go, but reading a book set in the city always has me ready to pack my bags. And then I think that I would stand out like a sore thumb in chic Paris. And I mentally unpack them again.

I loved that the ink of the book is blue and that so many prints of paintings were included. In color no less! I hate reading a book that talks about a real work of art and there's no print in the book. Call it laziness. It just seems like it should always be included.

I really appreciated that there is a section at the end explaining what is fact and what is fiction. I was a little surprised by what bits fell under which heading. I knew about van Gogh's ear. I did not know that he shot himself in the chest on purpose and then walked a mile to the doctor for help. That truly is some craziness.

But then there's the whole thrust (hee hee! Are you proud, Mr. Moore?) of the story that centers around The Colorman and Bleu. Who the hell are they and what the hell are they doing? I didn't know. I have a better idea now, but I'm still confused. Maybe my sense of humor is broken at the moment. Maybe my attention span is about as long as that of the hummingbirds that are starting to show back up at my house. But I just couldn't follow anything about them. And they really are the entire point of the story.

I have a feeling that if you liked Fool, you'll understand this better than I did, so go ahead and give it a try if you're interested.

Thanks to the publisher for sending me a copy for review.

Cross-posted to my book blog, The Introverted Reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.

08/18 marked as: read

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon No need for me to write a review when you've already posted one with much more clarity and humor! Thanks!

JG (The Introverted Reader) Thanks! But I'm sure you have your own humor to contribute, and I think you would have to be clearer than me; I was confused so my review is confused.

Arlene Miller Glad I am not the only one who didn't know what was going on!!!

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Horwood Fool is MacBeth

JG (The Introverted Reader) No, Fool is King Lear.

Carolynne I see that I really missed out by listening to the audiobook (although the reader was excellent). I had no idea that the book was full of paintings. If I didn't dislike the book so much, I would check it out of the library just to see the paintings in context.

JG (The Introverted Reader) That really was a nice touch.

Thekeyofdana This review is exactly how I felt!