Darby Stouffer's Reviews > The Man Within

The Man Within by Graham Greene

Jan 25, 12

Recommended for: Ages 18 and up
Read from January 22 to 25, 2012

This book was not one of my favorites, and never will be. That said, I found it deeply, deeply fascinating. The protagonist seems to be profoundly aware of his own cowardice, which is not something I view as common. Furthermore, he fails to take note of his own courage, always downplaying it. It is almost like his own personal pity party, where he wallows in his own cowardice, to the point of almost enjoying it, while being unaware of how much he does. The love found within was deeply touching to me, and the woman he came to love, and the feelings that he exhibited, of feeling clean and alive and joyful and *new* when he was with her, cause me to think of her as a Jesus figure. So yes. Fascinating yet depressing story, I look forward to reading more of Mr. Greene. Also, one of my favorite quotes from the book was as follows: "Surely you know by this time that the feeling won't last. For a day we are disgusted and disappointed and disillusioned and feel dirty all over. But we are clean again in a very short time, clean enough to go back and soil ourselves all over again." This reminds me of the cycle that we and the Israelites constantly go through. We sin, we may at first be disgusted by our sin, than we grow into apathy over said sin, God brings us to repentance, and then we come once again to apathy, this time over our cleanliness, and anxiously and eagerly search out sin once again.

7 down, 97 to go! :D
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Within.