Rob Sheppard's Reviews > The Motorcycle Diaries: A Journey Around South America

M 50x66
Jan 22, 2012

it was ok
Read on January 22, 2012

I read the translation by Ann Wright, and I get the impression that makes a difference. Her translation is littered with Britishisms, in some cases very obscure ones (she uses "put paid to" 3 times!). I would have thought it was common sense that translators–British, American, whatever–must avoid the -isms of their particular dialect, as it's extremely distracting, like superimposing your own culture onto a book about another culture. I read plenty of British translations, but never has it been as imposing as this. Anyway, translation aside, this still doesn't make for a terribly interesting read. If you're really into Che and need to see every detail of his formative years, I guess this shows you something, but no one would be reading this if Che had remained Ernesto the Argentine. We expect a published diary to be episodic, with some degree of exposition, but you won't find that here. The one exception is when they reach Cuzco, and he really grabbed my interest for 20 or so pages. Otherwise it's just, we went to this city and met this leprologist and begged him for food and the we tried to hitch a ride from a good bloke of a lorry driver and went to the next leper colony..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Motorcycle Diaries.